Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Florida Grand Opera: Sarah Coburn

We do more than just attend sporting events. Here we are, all ready to go to the opera! Brian wore a tie to match my outfit. Isn't he cute?! Our friend Keith showed us a youtube video about a year ago, of a fabulous coloratura soprano named Sarah Coburn rehearsing "Lucia di Lammermoor." Click here to see the very video. Well, I was quite impressed, to say the least. He gave us a call a little while back to let us know that she would be participating in a concert right here in Miami on April 6. I told Brian we were going!
We were not actually supposed to take any pictures during the performance. I don't think we were even supposed to take these but Brian snapped the above photo of the orchestra warming up and then one of us in our upper balcony seats. We couldn't afford to sit any closer. It was a beautiful concert hall as you can see from the pictures and the performance was absolutely amazing! Sarah performed with a Welsh bariton name Bryn Terfel. Sarah even did an aria that I had done in my days as a vocal performance major. "Una Voce Poco Fa" was one with which I competed and was chosen to perform in the Chairman's Honor recital, which doesn't mean anything to any of you, but it was a big deal for me! Needless to say, I was thrilled to hear her sing that one. She is flawless! It made me miss my opera singing days. Thankfully I am able to sing in church on occasion and was fortunate enough to get out of my talk on Easter and perform the special musical number. There is an amazing college music professor in my ward who accompanied me as well as a gifted young cellist. So with piano, voice, and cello, (and a prayer beforehand) we performed "I Know That My Redeemer Liveth" from the Messiah after a very brief rehearsal on Sunday morning. It was wonderful to have been a part of it. Brian gave a talk on the Atonement after our song and he did so well, he brought me to tears. Okay back to the opera!

Brian snapped another quick shot when they came out to take the final bow, after the two encores. It was so absolutely fabulous! We have tickets to go see Madama Butterfly in May and I can't wait!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We saw Bryn Terfel in SLC when he appeared with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in their Christmas program a couple of years ago. If Sarah Coburn is even half as good as he is you saw a great performance. We are glad to hear that you are broadening your horizons beyond sports and sight seeing - keep up the good work.