Sunday, December 7, 2008

Good Tidings of Great Joy

We thought that 'twas the season to make a Christmas post. We just watched "Joy to the World" or more accurately "Mundo Feliz" because we watched it in Portuguese. (We were both on our missions when it came out and after showing it to all of our investigators that Christmas, practically memorized it.)
Anyway, it inspired us to get out the only Christmas decorations we own. Besides red and green otter-pops, we have several nativity sets. Funny story about the one below, while Brian and I were in Africa, he bought this peice and said that it would be a Christmas gift for his future wife. I remember thinking that I'd love to own that one day. HA! Look at me now!


This one was purchased on our honeymoon in the Azores and I just love it.

This beautiful set was acquired in the same purchase as the future wife peice. It is a 16 peice set but Brian also added a few more animals to the traditional scene. You might notice the hippo, rhino, giraffe, and family of elephants. Not your typical nativity set but we love it. It takes us back to Africa and where it all began.

But most importantly it reminds us of the purpose of the season...to celebrate the Savior's birth. We are so thankful for Him and all that He made possible. We are also thankful to have each other this Christmas. Yay!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Very interesting post and nativity sets - they will become more precious as time goes on. What a great way to start some family traditions. thanks for sharing it with us.

Sarah Johnson said...

I think I have the same nativity set! Did the African dude and gang came to the compound selling them, or were yours from the streets? Love it. Memories indeed.

Congrats on your big move. And Jackie, your teeth are even more amazing now. Come and visit me in DC after you move. It's just a short flight from Miami!

chad said...

Great Nativities. We are now up to over 35 nativities from around the world. One of our favorites is the one we bought in Victoria British Columbia on our honeymoon.

LauraP said...

I LOVE all of your Nativities! I hope to own more than one some day, and hopefully from somewhere really cool, like yours

Linda said...

I love the hippo! Jackie, I am so happy for your happiness! ( and that you got to drop in on Shara and T! )
I think of you more than you would think I do.