Thursday, June 25, 2009

Memories of the King of Pop

Can you believe that Michael Jackson died today? That's crazy and extremely sad. Like millions of people all around the world, we are both huge fans of Michael, and he even played a part of our early courtship. That is why we decided to share some Michael Jackson memories for you guys, in no particular order.


- Our "first date" consisted of us watching a DVD of Michael's Live in Bucharest concert. I actually just realized this. When people asked us about our first date, I didn't really know what to say because we met on a study abroad and we were not allowed to date during that time. We had to keep everything a secret and we really couldn't go out just the two of us. So, once the program ended, a group of us took a bus ride to Johannesburg from Maputo. Jackie and I got to sit next to each other on the bus and hold hands and not have to worry about getting caught. It was such a nice feeling. To top it off, once we hit the road the bus driver put the Michael DVD on and that was just icing on the cake.

- The very first Friday night in Mozambique we didn't really know what to do as a group. I don't remember how it came up but Jackie knew the thriller dance and offered to teach it to everyone. All of the girls were stoked on that so that is what we did that first Friday night. I gave up about half way, not because I couldn't do it, but because I wanted a better view of Jackie doin her thang.

- I believe I was in the 4th grade when HIStory came out and I remember asking my parents to get it for me for Christmas. I remember my Dad asking me several times if I was sure I really wanted that CD, mostly because I'm sure he didn't want Michael coming from my room all of the time. He gave in and Santa came through.

-Jackie here, it's my turn now...I wanted to throw in some Michael Jackson moments from my life too. Highlight would be the night when I was absolutely determined to learn the Thriller dance. My friend Lindz was staying the night and we just decided "tonight is the night!" We were up until about 4:00 am and we got it all down. We went to Shari's Restaurant to celebrate and we busted out some of the moves there as well.

I have had several opportunities to teach the thriller dance since that night. Brian mentioned Africa. I also taught my sisters and cousins so that we could perform it at a family reunion. Fabulous! I've convinced several people to learn it for talent shows and even music videos for the youth, complete with zombies emerging from behind grave stones at the cemetery where my mother is buried.
My roommates and I performed the Thriller dance as zombies at a Halloween party.
My sisters and I performed Thriller at big brother Charlie's wedding and we even busted it out at my own wedding (our wedding). That was a blast! I have been mocked many-a-time for my Michael Jackson fanaticism...I made my acapella group do "The Way You Make Me Feel" and it was amazing! They were slightly annoyed but we did it anyway!

The only ring tones that I ever purchased for my phone were Michael Jackson songs. Daddy is "Beat It," my best friend is "Billie Jean," my husband is "The Way You Make Me Feel," and everyone else is "Smooth Criminal." I could probably go on and on and I really am in shock that my dream of ever seeing Michael live in concert died with him today. I'm glad I can still listen to his great music; I always have been and will be a huge fan for the rest of my life!

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

Oh Jackie! That night was the night! We thriller danced like it was no ones business!! I even bruised my knee from running into the couch!!! HA! That was the memory I thought of when I heard the news!!! Oh, and I have smooth criminal on my phone too! Lindsey Loves You!!!

johnEboy said...

I too remember wondering if you really did want HIStory from Santa. But it made it on to all the lists we made during church so I guess you were serious.

emetski said...

As I recall, Mrs. Santa might have been the one to pick up the MJ CD. Busting out the Thriller moves at the wedding reception was most excellent. Nothing but smiles and cheers from everyone in attendance.