Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A Night in Paris

This was actually my third "night in Paris", if you count my 8th graduation dance and one of my homecoming dances in High School. This one was by far was the best though (especially after our traumatizing separation). We had about 18 hours in the city so we tried to make the most of it.
When we climbed out of the metro station, right after being reunited, this was our first view in Paris.
Awesome, huh. I've always liked this monument
We took all of our bags to the hotel and got ready to go out for the evening. Our hotel was about two blocks up from the river. We walked down and this was our first clear shot of the Eiffel Tower.
Our new Italian-Parisian friend, Carolina (see previous post), recommended that we do one of the boat cruises on the Seine. She said it was the best way to see a lot of the city so we took her up on it.
Cool monuments going over the bridge
Notre Dame
I tried my best to keep the camera still, sorry
I forget the story behind the heads on this bridge
I also forget the reason this building has two clocks

The Tower lights up every hour
View from the top. While we were up there, I notice a sea of people moving across one of the bridges, followed by a couple of police vehicles. At first I thought they were runners, but then I realized they were going too fast. I then assumed cyclists, but they were going to slow. As they got closer, I realized it was a rollerblade race! I couldn't believe it! I really wish I would have known about that somehow. Peter Haglund, my little brother, and I used to have some pretty good races back in the 8 Calico days.
How far is Maputo from Paris, you ask. Well, it's 8820 Kilometers.
You can't tell in this picture but this motorcycle spooked me pretty bad
We went to bed around 3:00 am and got up around 7:00 am to pack our bags and then head over to the Louvre. We stopped on our way to have breakfast at one of the little cafes. It was good but I could have used a real, big glass of orange juice instead of the shot glass they gave me
How many cigarettes can you find?
Who is excited for next year's Tour!?
I'll admit it, I think of Tom Hanks first now whenever I hear the word "Louvre"
Check out the cutie in front of the picture of that one lady
Brrr Napoleon!
We both thought this was sweet
"You dumb, dumb, you give me gum, gum"
There were only 3 other people in the African, Oceanic, and American art section. It turned out to be our favorite part of the museum.
I studied this picture in my humanities class as well as a few others that we got to see

Hard to tell but it's a bed and it seemed like a very short bed
I thought this picture was a joke when I first saw it. It makes me laugh but kind of creeps me out at the same time

Princess Diana tribute

We loaded up our bags and hopped on the train (together) to make it to the airport to catch our plane. We flew to Chicago in about 9 hours, the sun never setting. We hung out in the airport and watched the Utah at Michigan football game. From there we finally made it back to Salt Lake and home. I apologize that it took me over a month to get all of these pictures up and posted. Hopefully you have enjoyed them. If you ever have any questions, especially about Portugal and the Azores, we would love to help.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We are glad the end of the trip went a little smoother than other parts and that you made it home safe and sound. Although we were only in France and Paris for about 48 hours we saw a lot of the same things. Great travelogue.

Lindsey said...

Awesome job on detailing the trip Brian!