Thursday, October 16, 2008

"Yes on Prop 8" Sign Vandalism

Jackie and I are in Utah so we have missed out on a lot of the Prop 8 "fun" that is taking place in California. It doesn't mean that I haven't kept up on what is going on down there. The recent issues of vandalism have been on my mind and I wanted to give my two cents (To see what I'm talking about, read this article from the OC Register or read this blog entry that our friends wrote about their personal experience with the vandalism)

My initial thought took me to the The Family: A Proclamation to the World and the warning that the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints gave:

"We warn that individuals who violate covenants of chastity, who abuse spouse or offspring, or who fail to fulfill family responsibilities will one day stand accountable before God. Further, we warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets"

What are these calamities foretold? Could this be the start?

Irvine, one of the safest cities in the United States, has reported the most sign vandalism so far. I image the people behind this are not your typical vandals. I'm sure it's your average, everyday Joe who feels justified in the breaking the law. This must be how it starts. These small steps that people are beginning to take will, without a doubt, lead to serious community consequences.

I understand that Proposition 8 is a very serious issue. A lot needs to be understood about both sides of the argument. However, when it is simply put, I support traditional marriage.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Some people just don't fully evaluate their actions before they take them. If I knew how, I would post a commentary that Ben Stein gave over national TV recently talking about how important a belief in God has been to this country and then spelled out some of the things that have led us, as a country, down the garden path to where we are today.

emetski said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
emetski said...

Check out the work of some of our local 'Yes on 8' undercover team as they stake out and catch 'Yes on 8' sign thieves.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mf4Q5xftSQ