Monday, June 28, 2010

Memorable Moments: Year 2

I just noticed that I did a list of the most memorable moments from our first year of marriage so I thought I would put together another little list. I print the blog every year at this point so we can keep a physical copy of all of our activities. It's pretty fun to go and look back through. I wanted this post to get in the book so I better do it right now. Here we go...

5. Graduating/Graduation - If you were to stumble upon this blog and this was the first post you read, I imagine you would be a little confused as to how graduating from college would only be #5 on a most memorable list. Well, when you have a baby, it changes everything. Anyway, it was a crazy feeling walking home from the Tanner Building on that cold, snowy morning. I was glad to finish school so I could move on but at the same time I knew I was going to miss the friends, the learning, the flexibility, and every other fun thing that comes with college.

I finished in December but went back for the ceremony in April. The main reason we went back was so that my family could check out Bobby. It was exciting for everyone involved, at least for us once the airplane ride was over. It was fun to show him off to friends and family as we hung out in Utah for a week.

4. Journey home from Miami - For some odd reason Jackie felt sick and had heartburn the entire trip from Miami to Utah. We figured it was just the long car rides and eating nothing but fast food for a few days. As it turns out, not so. Now we did memorable stuff, like seeing Mt. Rushmore, the actual Field of Dreams, and taking our 2nd trip to Charleston, IL in 6 months, but nothing will be as memorable as Jackie complaining about feeling sick the entire time.

3. 2 bars - As soon as we got back to Utah from Miami, we stayed with my parents for a few weeks. We were trying to avoid pregnancy tests until we had a pretty good idea, because we didn't want the continual disappointment and we also didn't want to buy a bunch of tests. Well, Jackie had an extra test so one morning she decided to give it a shot. We woke up and she ran into the bathroom without telling me what was going on. I got up and used my sister's bathroom around the corner. As I'm washing my hands, Jackie comes running in. She can't talk. Her body is shaking. At this point I think, I know this look, we've been married over a year now. So I ask her, "Where's the spider?" She doesn't know how to respond so she just shows me the stick and says "Two bars!!" Wow, what a feeling.

2. Heartbeat - Everyone told me that it was so special hearing the baby's heartbeat for the first time but I thought everyone was just overreacting. Really, a heartbeat? Well, they weren't. As soon as we heard that heartbeat for the first time, I got more emotional than I thought I would. I couldn't believe it. It was so exciting. It became that much more real.

1. Bobby's Birth - Come on, what did you expect? Seeing how our 2nd year of marriage consisted of 9 months and one week of pregnancy, the accumulation of all of that had to be number one, especially since it is giving birth. Jackie is such a champ. She was so great through everything and it all paid off. You really can't beat something like that.

4 comments:

emetski said...

Can't argue with that list. I'm pretty sure Bobby's birth is number one on my list for the year and will probably finish the year tied for first with the expected arrival of John and Beth's baby Isabel in July.

Unknown said...

Good way to end a memorable year. We were glad to get a first hand look and Bobbie during yu trip back to Zion in April.thanks for the report!

C said...

reading yr blog makes me feel happiness of relationship.All the best!

elyssa said...

cuuute.

we ARE having a blast, i assure you... and currently building a house?? because we are not responsible adults. so you guys should come visit, no?

aaaaand, don't be too jealous. cuz I'M still super jealous of 4 of your top 5s! grrr.